If you are in need of an ultrasound in Dallas/Fort Worth look no further than Prime Diagnostic Imaging. Our ultrasound services are designed to provide patients with the care and attention they need, regardless of whether this is your first time or not. Many people associate ‘ultrasound’ with pregnancy, and while that is definitely one of the most common uses for this type of imaging, it is not the only purpose. In fact, ultrasound imaging is a useful – and popular – way of examining many of the body’s internal organs. This method of imaging obtains medical pictures using high-frequency sound waves, allowing physicians and other medical professionals to examine internal organs in real-time. Ultrasound images are captured in the moment, which allows them to demonstrate movement of internal tissues and organs alike. The fact that ultrasound images are captures in real-time also allows the technician to see how the blood is flowing and how the heart bumps said blood, for example.
What is an Ultrasound Used For?
There are many different reasons an individual may be in need of an ultrasound in Dallas/Fort Worth. Here is a look at a few of the most common reasons a doctor may have you undergo an ultrasound imaging test:
- To view and assess the uterus, ovaries, and fetus of pregnant women
- To scan the abdomen in order to investigate pain, nausea, vomiting, or abnormal sounds and lumps
- This type of scan may examine the gallbladder, bile ducts, liver, pancreas, spleen, kidneys, and some blood vessels
- To look at the pelvic region
- This type of scan is done in the event a patient is experiencing pelvic pain or has abnormal periods, fibroids, cysts, or other conditions of the female reproductive system
- To examine the male prostate
- To examine the thyroid
- To view the testicles for pain or swelling
- Soft tissue exams are performed to assess lymph nodes and hernias and nodules felt on your person
- To evaluate the kidney arterial system
- To look at arms and legs for pain, swelling or heat looking for a Deep Vein Thrombosis
- To examine the arteries within the legs because of pain, and/or an abnormal ABI
- To examine the Abdominal Aorta to screen for aneurysms
- To scan the Carotid Arteries due to physical findings by your physician
- To image the breasts
- To examine for pain and/or lumps founds
These are just a handful of the most common uses of ultrasound imaging. If you have any questions about the above information or would like additional information about our Dallas area ultrasound services, please do not hesitate to ask.
What to Expect
The steps leading up to and during an ultrasound will vary depending on the type of scan you are receiving. For example, if you are having an upper abdomen ultrasound, you will be instructed to lie down on the exam table, at which point the technician will place gel on your skin in order to provide a more accurate point of contact between the body and the ultrasound probe. Keep in mind that other types of ultrasound will have different steps and may even be an entirely different procedure. To find out more about what you can expect when undergoing an ultrasound at Prime Diagnostic Imaging, please contact us today.